Most job ads require candidates to submit their resume and a cover letter. Many job candidates have spent time focusing on their resume, and often ignore the cover letter which is the first document seen by interviewers/employers/etc.
Top 5 Tips For Your Cover Letter:
- Address the cover letter to a specific person when possible. Find the name of the hiring manager or specific employer and include it in your cover letter
- Start with your value-added statement. Describe what skills, abilities, and advantages you will bring to the business if hired.
- List 4-5 ways your skills, knowledge and abilities will benefit the business, and include examples of prior success when applicable.
- End the cover letter with a statement specific to the job opening and your interest in the position.
- Match the cover letter format to your resume format, so both are consistent.
It is vital to tailor your cover letter to each job opening! It is very easy to identify a generic cover letter, and by personalizing the letter you are demonstrating your interest in the specific job, and professionalism in doing your research and putting added effort into your cover letter and resume.
Do you need help with your Cover Letter or Resume? Don’t miss the Job Preparation Services where you can get help with your letter, get practice with interview skills and learn how to perform a successful job search!